Last Updated on July 6, 2021 Ashley Camelia
Well, as a parent of a Pitbull, you must be familiar with the sheer power and immense energy your muscular dog possess. Even if you socialize them properly, controlling them in front of other animals or while walking them on the road can be very tough.
They belong to a mighty breed, so a mere collar won’t hold them. You need to get the best harness for Pitbulls that will not only give you control over their movement but will also curb their frequent prey drive.
But where will you get the best harness? You won’t have to worry as we have come forward with some of the finest products from the market.
- The 7 Best Harness for Pitbulls Comparison & Reviews
- Dog Harnesses Versus Dog Collars
- How To Train Your Pitbull To Walk With A Harness?
- What to Look For In a Harness for Pitbulls?
- Different Types of Dog Harnesses For Pitbulls
- Tips For Getting Your Pitbull Accustomed To Using A Harness
- How To Measure A Harness For Your Pitbull?
The 7 Best Harness for Pitbulls Comparison & Reviews
The table below is the summarize of the recommended top-rated harness for Pitbulls:
The following are the top 7 harnesses for Pitbulls that you can rely on. Each of the selected harnesses will highlight their features as well as the pros and cons of having it. Check out now.
1. BABYLTRL No Pull Adjustable Harness
BABYLTRL adjustable harness is probably the best Pitbull harness with a handle you will find in the market and that too, with affordable pricing. This harness is designed to offer maximum comfort to your muscular pup, and that is why the strap gets breathable mesh with sponge padding that also reduces any sprain.
If your dog has a chest circumference between 22-27inch, then this gear will perfectly suit them and will allow them to go for a safe long walk. Moreover, it gets an adjustable strap so you can modify the size, and they won’t feel uncomfortable while wearing it.
Safety is a priority of any strap, so BABYLTRL Pitbull puppy harness gets two robust D-rings that not only curbs the sudden urge for pulling but also prevents any injury. Whether you want to go for a walk or run, you can safely perform them with the help of a locking feature that secures the body strap with the leash.
You will also get an excellent handle with the rope that makes the harness more secure. With the simple design and quick snap buckles, you can quickly put on the harness on your pup without much fuss.
2. Icefang Tactical K9 Working Dog Harness
Icefang tactical K9 is not your average dog harness for Pitbulls; instead, it is a specially designed tactical strap aimed to give you complete control over your pup’s movement. Built with 150D Nylon with Pu water-resistant coating, it has immense capability to withstand the body strength of your Pitbull.
However, its two 1000lb load-resistant metal buckles with two 250lb proof-load POM buckle makes the main difference that keeps the energetic pup always under control. This Pitbull chest harness is all about strength and durability, and Bartack sewing is the proof.
With a chest of 28-35inch and a neck size of 18-24inch, it would easily fit in your canine’s body, and if it doesn’t, you will also find other sizes. Unlike others, it gets a four-position adjustable strap that not only secures the body but also makes it escape-proof.
With this harness, you can control your dog’s motion with little effort as it comes with both front and back clips. Besides optimum security, the harness with soft padding and ventilate mesh also offers superior comfort.
What makes it more interesting? The two one-inch strips of Molle on both sides allows your pup to carry a bowl and bottle during a hike or walk.
3. Beirui Genuine Leather Walking Harness
When you look for recommendations for high-quality leather Pitbull harnesses, Beirui genuine leather strap will anonymously be recommended by everyone. With a chest size range of 24-29.5inch, it will easily fit your mid-sized and fully grown brawny pup without any issue.
For convenience, it gets three adjustable straps so that your puppy won’t have uneasiness while moving its muscles. The absence of soft cushioning may give you second thoughts, but many users have stated that the leather doesn’t cause irritation or discomfort.
It is all about giving you complete convenience to pull and control, and that is why it packs a robust D-ring with three alloy-metal buckles that won’t come off under any situation. The metal buckles altogether offer 12 adjustable holes so you can adequately secure the harness without compromising on comfort.
This Beirui heavy-duty dog harness for Pitbulls is built on premium soft and durable brown leather that meets the top-notch standard of durability. The three strips of leather are 0.4cm, which is not only sufficient to hold your dominant dog but also facilitate easy on and off.
4. Ruffwear Front Range Padded Harness
A highly-rated Pitbull chest harness is the ideal way to introduce the Ruffwear front range that has become a favorite strap for parents in the US. It is a quirky-looking harness that is made from lightweight and durable fabric so that it can to the outdoor adventures of your Pitbull.
Besides tremendous potency, it also delivers a cushiony feeling to your pup’s body, and the credit goes to the foam padding on the chest as well as the body. The strap on the chest and belly has been constructed in such a way that way; it equally distributes the load so that your pup can freely move.
All thanks to the aluminum V-ring on the center with reinforced webbing, you can direct their movement during a long walk or hike.
Unlike others, it will offer a full range of motion with four convenient adjustment points and allow your dog can enjoy their outdoor session without any skin issue. For storing small items during the walk, you can utilize the small ID pockets on the strap. The pulling harness for Pitbull is built with reflective trims for night visibility so you can take out your pup for a night walk.
5. Yogadog Heavy Duty Short Leash Harness
Yogadog is a uniquely crafted short leash harness that is meant for Pitbull owners who are looking for extra strength. Durability is one key factor for being the best harness for Pitbulls, so it made from wear-resistant and waterproof Nylon material that also delivers 450lbs of pulling resistance.
However, the elastic handle design makes the main difference in control, and it has a padded handle that gets you an extended elastic leash. The whole combination of a short leash not only limits the pulling instinct of your muscular pup but also buffers the pulling force to curb injury.
The entire harness is coupled with durable buckles and a D-ring that ensures optimum safety. You can even attach different types of leashes with the D-ring so that your pup won’t stray away in different situations.
In addition to safety and control, this pulling harness for Pitbull also ensures superior comfort to the back and chest by incorporating soft ventilated padding. Moreover, the front chest strap is located in such a way that it distributes all the pressure and prevents any neck injury.
6. Julius-K9 IDC Power Harness
Without a shadow of a doubt, the Julius-K9 IDC power harness is probably the best walking harness for Pitbull with an overwhelmingly positive response. Reinforced with heavy-duty buckles and adjustable front and belly strap, it not only keeps your highly energetic pup under your control but also makes them less prone to injury.
Importantly, the chest strap also distributes the pressure while the heavy-duty buckle stays intact under all pressure. This Pitbull training harness is the favorite choice of many professionals as it is made from anti-allergic OEKO-TEX premium German material that won’t tear even after years of usage. Despite being a highly-secured harness, you will be surprised how it is easy to put on and take off.
The whole inner area of this harness for Pitbulls to stop pulling contains breathable and skin-friendly inner lining that makes sure your pup is treated with super comfort.
What makes it stand out? The hook and loop patches that you would hardly find in this price range. Moreover, it comes with a 250 cm3 carry pouch and a flashlight holder so that you won’t have to carry anything while strolling with your big dog.
7. Kurgo Tru-Fit Quick Release Harness
Tru-Fit quick-release harness from Kurgo is one of the most popular Pitbull pulling harnesses that requires no introduction among dog parents. With the front and back D-ring, you can quickly check their movement when they try to pull.
Besides, the strap also gets a back leash ring; thus, it serves as the ideal equipment to take your large breed for walking and jogging. We loved the five adjustable points that not only make it easy to take on and off but also provide tailored fitting.
Although it gets plastic quick-release buckles you can stay assured that it won’t come off from your pup’s body even when they are raging.
Surprisingly, Kurgo Tru-fit gets a 10-inch tether leash that you can not only use as a training leash but also can utilize as a car seat belt to restrain your pup.
The best part of this low-weight harness for Pitbull is that it has a comfortable inner mesh that won’t irritate your dog’s skin. The product comes with a lifetime warranty that covers all types of manufacturing defects.
Now, it is time to go through some relevant information that will give broaden up your knowledge regarding Pitbull’s harness.
Dog Harnesses Versus Dog Collars
When it comes to controlling your muscular Pitbull, a harness serves as the best option as it wraps around the whole body, unlike collars, which are only concentrated on the neck.
Harness offers better control than collars and allows you to keep them close to you without putting pressure on particular body parts.
When you put up a harness on your brawny friend, it doesn’t cause strain on a particular area; instead, it distributes the press on every area of the body. Whereas collars put a lot of strain on the neck when you pull them to control or change direction while walking.
Similarly, a collar can cause injury in the neck and head while they make a sudden movement. But with the harness, the chance is almost minimal, and even if they get triggered by other dogs, you can easily control them.
The harness can be useful in assisting your friend to stand up when they are lying or sitting because it comfortably pulls them up without causing pain.
The collar doesn’t discourage them from pulling, but a harness does because it covers their shoulder and chest, so when they pull, they can’t move much.
How To Train Your Pitbull To Walk With A Harness?
Training your Pitbull to walk with a harness is a lengthy process, but if you can do it correctly, it would benefit you for the rest of your life. The following step will elaborate on the process;
- At first, you need to make your pup get used to the Pitbull dog harness you have bought. Before taking them for a walk, put the harness on your dog for a few hours a day and continue it until they get habituated to it.
- Now teach them to follow you so that they would listen to you when you put on the harness. Take some treats and get their attention by showing them. Once they try to approach you, you should slowly backward and allow them to follow you. So when they start following you, give your Pitbull a little amount of treat. You should follow this technique for a few weeks until they learn to stay beside you while walking. Apart from the following game, you can also teach them sound cues so that they would follow you by the sound command.
- After they learn to follow you, it is time to take them for short walks inside with the harness on. While walking, you should ensure that your canine should follow you rather than getting distracted. To encourage them, you should reward them with a treat when they follow you while walking. However, if the Pitbull tries to go another way or try to pull, you should immediately stop walking and wait until they settle. It would be a great idea to introduce a little distraction after a few days. So when your pup tries to pull by seeing distractions, you should stop them and deviate them by getting their interest. If you get successful in this process, then reward them with a treat or some cuddling.
- Now it is time to take the training to the next stage by taking them outside in the neighborhood. It will introduce new challenges as there will a lot of distractions, sounds, and smells. You should start with a short walk and allow your pup to get familiar with the outside world. Then gradually increase the duration and distance, but you shouldn’t move much away from your house.
- The final step of the training would be taking them for an outdoor walk at different times so they won’t get scared if you suddenly take them out in the night.
What to Look For In a Harness for Pitbulls?
Selecting the ultimate Pitbull gear is quite tricky since there are a plethora of options and a lot of considerations. So here are some essential factors you should check:
- Material – The material of the harness is probably the most crucial thing because it will determine its durability and strength. Leather and nylon are probably the best options for durability, and they don’t affect their body coat. However, you will also get various other options, but you should always go for the durable one.
- Comfort – In addition to material, you should check whether the harness carries padding like neoprene, nylon mesh, and polyester webbing. The padding adds comfort to the body and prevents different areas of the body from injuries and scratches while you pull them
- Overall Construction – The overall construction of the harness is fundamental so that it won’t tear after few days of usage. It should have immense strength to counter the tremendous power of your Pitbull. The harness should also have excellent stitching because it will add to the strength.
- D-Ring and Handle– A durable D-ring in the harness plays a crucial role in controlling your highly energetic friend and keeps them from escaping. Always go for a robust D-ring because it will prevent the rope from coming off. You can also buy a harness with a handle to properly hold your dog while you take them out for a walk.
- The thickness of the strap – You should never compromise on the width of the belt because it will enhance durability and withstand all the pressure. Moreover, a wide strap also makes the strap comfortable to wear. However, you shouldn’t go for an extensive strap because it would cause inconvenience when you take your pup for a walk.
- Getting The Right Size – Always opt for the harness that will comfortably fit in the body of your muscular friend. Getting the right size is essential, so measure your pup’s body before you proceed to buy. However, you should make sure; the harness isn’t too tight for the body because it will lead to discomfort. It would be a good idea to go for adjustable sizes, so you modify the harness based on their body development.
- Styling – When you are investing in a harness, so why shouldn’t you put importance on the styling. Even though it isn’t a big deal but getting a strap with good color and unique pattern would complement the personality of your kid. Having a reflective design would be an excellent move because it will not only look cool but also will also keep them recognizable in dark areas.
Watch Video: Training a Pitbull to walk with harness (Narrated by Pitbull Owner)
Different Types of Dog Harnesses For Pitbulls
When it comes to getting a dog harness, you might get confused by the different types of harnesses available in the market. If you are new to parenting a dog, then you would get perplexed as most of the types look similar.
A front-clip harness is the most common type you will find in the market that comes really when you are training your pup. However, if your Pitbull is already trained and obeys your commands, then back clip type would be ideal for you.
To stay safe side, the dual-clip serves as the best bait as they contain both front and rear clips. You will also find a car safety harness in the market that comes in handy during a long drive or road trip. The car-safety harness acts as a seat belt that prevents your lovely friend from falling off.
Tips For Getting Your Pitbull Accustomed To Using A Harness
Pitbull are known for their stubborn nature, so in the initial stage may be hard to make them accustomed to harness. So here are a few tips you can follow;
- Give a few days to your Pitbull to familiarize yourself with the harness before you put them on. Let them sniff the harness so that they know what they are wearing. However, you shouldn’t allow them to bite because they might tear it.
- In the initial stage, if your brawny pup allows you to put the harness on them quickly, then you should reward him with a treat.
- Before starting the harness training, just allow them to move around the house with the harness. You should give them time to get comfortable with the harness so that they can move freely without any inconvenience.
- It would be a good idea to take them to pet-friendly places so that they can enjoy their time. Allow them to enjoy the outdoors while they are wearing a harness so that they won’t cause any resistance in the future.
- Always have patience when you are trying to put on the harness on mulish friend’s body because they will resist in the beginning. Rather than getting aggressive, you should be gentle during the process.
- Provide a broad and padded harness to your Pitbull so that it won’t cause any discomfort and irritation once they wear it.
How To Measure A Harness For Your Pitbull?
Getting the best no-pull harness for Pitbull simply doesn’t cut it as you will also have to get the correct harness length. The harness should be neither too small nor too broad and always opt for a leash for optimum body adjustment. You should get a harness depending upon the size of your powerful canine.
To determine the harness length:
Take a measuring tape and measure the widest part of your pup’s chest because it will offer proper fitting. Then you should calculate the total circumference of their neck. After taking the dimension, you should add some inches because it will allow them to relax with the harness.
Now, based on your measurement, you should purchase the Pitbull training harness. Remember, always go for the large size when you are confused between two dimensions as it will help them in gradual body development.
A harness plays a crucial role when you decide to take out your beefy Pitbull for walking and jogging. It not only secures them on the road but also makes the walk enjoyable as it curbs their pulling instinct.
Through our list of best harnesses for Pitbulls, we have highlighted some exceptional models that we think will meet your requirements. Although the products might have different types of adjustment facilities and features, superior durability and comfort are standard in all of them.
So we are confident that our list will guide you to the most appropriate harness for your Pitbull.