A dog is a born wanderer that loves to run and chase everything that comes across his way. But when you are at a crowded park, visiting a farmhouse or on vacation with your best friend, the situation becomes worrisome.
A portable wireless dog fence is the best solution for all your problems. No one wants their furry friends to get lost or injured. These wireless electric fences are made to keep your pet safe by controlling them effectively.
There are hundreds of portable electric dog fences available on the market, which makes it quite hard to select the best one. Besides brand repute, you have to consider important features, dog size, and many other factors.
We have created the best wireless dog fence list that are portable to help you make the right decision. The selection of these wireless dog fences is based on features, durability, and user reviews.
Top 10 Best Portable Wireless Dog Fence for Outdoor Activities
Here are the summarize of the top 5 portable wireless dog fence system that you can rely on, and follow by the complete reviews on the most reliable 10 containment systems.
1. PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System
When it comes to the safety of your pet, there is nothing better than PetSafe. This reliable containment system provides excellent safety and gives your peace of mind. It not only keeps your pet safe but also helps to learn its boundaries comfortably.
This portable wireless dog fence collar is lightweight and quickly covers about half an acre and alters you and the pet using the options of static or tone.
PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System are best for dogs over 8 lbs with neck size of up to 6-28 inches. The best thing is you can easily set up in 1-2 hours.
The wireless pet fence comes with five adjustable levels of static correction or tone option to alert when your dog is crossing the boundary. It also features an automatic correction shut-off of thirty seconds.
Just like other PetSafe dog collars, there is a built-in RDA-67 rechargeable battery. Using extra wireless, waterproof collars, you can add an unlimited number of pets to this wireless dog collar. This fence can easily cover a diameter of 180 feet by using optional wireless transmitters.
PIF-300 by PetSafe is an advanced pet safety system to offer safety and comfort to your dog. The compact design with lightweight makes it one of the best portable wireless dog fences on the market.
Remember, the pet safety system works best on flat terrains. Using it on slopes, hills, etc. may affect the signals.
The Features Highlight
- 1/2 Acre of Circular Coverage: The adjustable circular range can cover up to 1/2 acres from the placement of the Portable indoor transmitter
- No Wire to Bury: A wireless boundary allows you to create a secure barrier around your yard to protect your pets without the time or hassle of burying wires
- Static-Free Reentry: Unlike traditional in-ground fences, this wireless fence allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- Simple Set-up: Sets up in just a few hours; this Portable system is terrific for camping and vacation homes
- Waterproof Collar: The waterproof collar comfortably fits dogs 8 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches; Compatible with all PetSafe Wireless Fence transmitters
- Long Battery Life: The collar battery lasts up to 2 months before the low battery indicator alerts you to replace the battery; Uses the PetSafe RFA-67D-11 battery
- Personalize your Dogs Collar Settings: Teach your pets to stay in the secure play area with a sound-only training mode plus 5 levels of static on his receiver collar
- Add More Than 1 Pet: Unlimited number of collars can be added to the fence system and set to match your pets personalities
2. Extreme Dog Fence Second Generation
One of the best wireless dog fences, Extreme dog second-generation, contains up to 6 acres (if you purchase additional dog fence wire). With its only 1.1 ounces collar, it won’t weigh your pet down. It can be used for dogs with weight 8 lbs weight and above.
This fully adjustable and waterproof portable dog fence comes with contact points covered in rubber, which makes it ultra-comfortable for your pet.
This safety system works best for an unlimited number of dogs. All you need is to select the number of collars you want to receive with your safety kit. This standard kit features 500 feet of wire, which is good enough to contain 1/3 of an acre. If you want to increase it, just add the amount of wire you want, in increments of 500-feet.
This portable wireless fence comes with a beep only mode for training. It offers eight adjustable correction levels for the dog. You can also set how close the wire that the dog travels before he listens to the beep and receives the correction. This feature is an excellent option to control stubborn dogs.
The Key Features
- Improved: The 2nd Generation eXtreme Dog Fence covers up to 6 acres. The updated electronics are designed for compatibility with new collar options.
- Waterproof and Submersible: The eXtreme dog fence includes a collar receiver that is COMPLETELY waterproof, and can be submerged up to 10 deep. Your dog can swim with the collar.
- Standard Fence Kit Includes: 20 Gauge High Tensile Boundary Wire with Heavy Protective Jacket, Digital Transmitter, Collar Receiver(s) w/ Battery, Training Flags and Splice Kits
- 1 Year Warranty: When you register your fence, the warranty eXtends to 5 years. With more than 25 years of experience and carries a stellar reputation for reliability and performance.
- Made in U.S.A.: We are standing by to provide you top level assistance and support in setting up your fence, training your dogs and puppies, or troubleshooting any other issues
3. PetSafe Stay Play Compact Wireless Fence for dogs and cats
Are you tired of using buried wires or expensive fences? Well, this sleek, portable, and updated wireless fence by PetSafe is made comfortable safety tracking of your pet.
This pet-friendly wireless fence is easy to install and use. The waterproof fence with compact sizes comes with rechargeable batteries that offer customized settings and helps to protect your best friend for around ¾ acres.
The prime working features of this system are a perimeter wire which is buried or fixed on the fence and a collar worn by your dog. It can easily cover up to 10 acres of land using an extra wire. It is recommended for dogs with 5 pounds of weight or above and a neck size of 6-28 inches.
The portable dog fence is lightweight and can be set up quickly. It features five adjustable correction levels along with a mode to let you select a tone-only mode that alerts with the beep. The automatic shut-off feature stops the correction after 15 minutes.
The built-in rechargeable batteries need only 2-3 hours for a complete charge. The kit comes with 50 training flags, 150-meter perimeter wire, transmitter unit, receiver with an adjustable collar, and a user manual.
The Main Features
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (22-105 ft in all directions) from the placement of the indoor transmitter
- NO WIRE TO BURY: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without spending time burying wires
- 5 LEVELS OF CORRECTION: The system features 5 levels of static correction plus a tone-only mode
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- STAY & PLAY COLLAR: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 lb and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 in
- SIMPLE SET-UP: Set up your new wireless fence in just 1-2 hours to give your dog a secure play area
- PORTABLE: Take this compact, portable fence with you when you and your dog go camping or travel in your RV (outlet required)
- CONTAIN ALL YOUR PETS: With the purchase of additional collars, this wireless fence allows you to safely contain an unlimited number of pets with one fence system
- US-BASED CUSTOMER CARE: Let our pet product experts help; we’re available Monday through Saturday to answer your questions at 1-800-845-3274
4. SportDog Brand In-Ground Fence Systems
SportDog is another industry-leading brand for dog training products and accessories. This in-ground fence system is excellent for small suburban and also large country acreage.
The system comes with a small and efficient collar receiver. The collar receiver is made with reliable DryTek waterproof technology, which makes it the right choice for different weather conditions. It has seven levels of static stimulation, along with the tone and vibration options.
This wireless electric dog fence has a Lithium-Ion battery that needs only two hours for a complete charge and stays charged for 1-2 months.
One of the best features of this system is a built-in surge protector that helps to protect it from any power surge and lightning strike. The original fence size is good enough to secure more than on dogs.
Simply buy an additional collar and train an unlimited number of dogs with this best portable wireless dog fence.
Another notable feature is the wire break alarm that indicates the wire breakage. Last but not least, the low battery indicator keeps you informed about the battery health and helps to buy new ones beforehand.
The Summarize Features
- Easy-to-install containment system that can cover 1 1/3 acres of land for one dog; expandable to cover 100 acres with more wire and flags (sdf-wf) for more dogs
- Waterproof collar takes standard 9-volt battery (included) that lasts 6-12 months
- It can fits dogs with weight 10 lbs and above
- Collar gives tone (beep) and vibration (buzz) warning before moving to one of four static stimulation levels
- Transmitter features wire break alarm and built in lightning protector
- Includes two-year manufacturer’s warranty; call our US-based customer care center for support
5. Sit Boo-Boo Electric Dog Fence and Pet Containment System
This Sit Boo-Boo is a safe and secure dog fence system for both in-ground and above ground dog fences. This effective dog fence comes with some great features to train your dog under the best security parameters and tools. Overall, the collar is straightforward and easy to install and use.
The fence comes with waterproof (IP7) features, which makes it the best choice for different climatic conditions. You can also train your dog in the pool with this waterproof fence.
It also features a prevention system for static corrections. It helps to prevent your dog from damages. Thanks to the built-in tracking system that allows you to track the location of your pet.
The adjustable cable length allows customizing the design of its perimeters, which is excellent for yard training. This cable comes with 20 gauge copper wire covered with sturdy plastic to withstand different weather conditions.
Rechargeable lithium-ion battery offers more lifetimes and can be recharged very quickly. The wireless dog fence has three ways to train the dog, including sound, static, and vibration shocks.
The Product Features
- ELECTRIC DOG FENCE – 955 ft. of industrial grade solid copper wire. Can cover 1.2 acres land (expandable up to 5 acres).
- 5 LEVELS OF ADJUSTMENT – Collar comes with Tone & Static correction. Perfect for mild mannered to more stubborn dogs.
- IN GROUND or ABOVE GROUND INSTALLATION – The system is completely customizable to the shape of your property.
- USA-PRODUCT & CUSTOMER SERVICE – To get the best service locally, with a 1 year replacement warranty.
6. PetSafe Basic In-Ground Dog and Cat Fence
This latest system by PetSafe is pretty simple, with no additional features. In fact, if you are on a tight budget and looking for a reliable wired network with compact size, PetSafe Basic In-Ground Dog and Cat Fence is made for your needs.
Offering a battery-powered receive collar, this fence comes with four levels of static correction, low battery indicator, and durable wire.
The small surge protector unit is a great addition to prevent the transmitter from power, surges, and sudden power shortage or lightning strikes. This little unit improves the life span of the containment system.
The low battery indicator warns you to replace it with the new battery. Remember, commonly, a battery lasts for 1-2 months. So, it is better to set a reminder for the best results.
The adjustable collar is excellent for 6-26 inches of neck sizes. Also, the receiver collar is water-resistant to allow you to train your dog in a pool or rain. You can choose from the different coverage system depending on your needs.
The Great Features
- 1/3 Acre Coverage: 500 ft of included wire lets you contain up to a 1/3-acre yard; Purchase additional wire to contain up to 5-acres
- 4 Levels of Static Correction: 4 levels of adjustable static correction and a tone-only mode help keep your dog safe and secure inside their designated play area
- Fits Most Yards: This do-it-yourself weekend project lets you create an in-ground fence designed to fit your yard
- Over Correction Protection: An automatic safety shut-off feature will keep your pet from receiving extended static correction if they remain in the correction zone for 30 seconds
- Waterproof Receiver Collar: The included lightweight, waterproof collar fits pets weighing 8 pound or more with neck sizes between 6-26 inch
- Battery-operated Collar: The collar has a low battery indicator and uses replaceable PetSafe RFA-67 battery; Battery is included
- Contain All Your Pets: With the purchase of additional collars, this in-ground fence system allows you to safely contain an unlimited number of pets
- Compatibility: Works with all PetSafe In-Ground Fence receiver collars except YardMax receiver collars
- US Based customer care: Let our pet product experts help to solve your problem
7. PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System
This advanced pet safety system by PetSafe comes with a compact, lightweight, and portable design. This containment system offers high quality and performance with ultra comfort and safety. This portable electric dog fence is an ideal choice to cover half an acre easily.
It is recommended for pets over 8 pounds with 6-28 inches of neck sizes. The system is easy to set up that needs only 1-2 hours. PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System comes with five adjustable levels of static correction. Or there is also a tone option to alert you when your dog is crossing the particular boundary.
The system also features an auto-correction shut-off of 30 seconds. This compact set can easily handle an unlimited number of dogs, each with their own receiver collar. These collars have an adjustable built-in RDA-67 rechargeable battery with a decent life span.
This wireless fence is made for flat terrains. If you are using it on hills or slopes, the signals may get affected. Additional features include a wireless transmitter, collar, long contact points for haired dogs, battery, test light tools, training guide, and 50 boundary training flags.
The Key Features
- The PetSafe wireless receiver collar is fully waterproof
- 1 portable transmitter (cover up to ½ acre circle)
- Short & long probes with each collar
- PetSafe RFA-67 proprietary battery
- Can add as many collars as you like
- 5 adjustable levels of correction
8. Garmin Alpha 100 TT GPS Bundle
One of the best wireless dog fences for small-sized dogs, the Garmin Alpha 100TT GPS Bundle, is specially designed to be comfortable and safe for pets. It can be expanded up to 20 canines with a range of up to 4 miles, which is excellent for large landowners.
The accurate preloaded TOPO US 100k maps allow you to view the area on its bright 3-inch color TFT display. You can easily track your dog’s activity, such as distance, direction, speed, and also receive alerts consistently with the pre-integrated compass and barometric altimeter.
This wireless dog is very easy to set up and doesn’t need any time for adjustment. You can select whether you want your best friend to receive a vibration, sound, or continuous stimulation when the dog leaves the setup perimeter.
The stimulation level is also adjustable, which is from 1 to 18. This reliable fence system is powered by lithium-ion batteries. A single charge offers 20 hours of continuous performance. The good thing is you can also charge it via USB.
The Good Features
- High-Sensitivity GPS with GLONASS. Display size is 1.53 wide X 2.55 high X 3 diagonal (inches)
- Preloaded TOPO U.S. 100k maps.LED beacon lights and Rescue mode as well as Stimulation levels-Tone and Vibration
- Battery life 20-40 hrs. Display type : transflective, 65-K color TFT touchscreen
- Setup virtual boundaries on your map and receive an alert, automatically sends signal to recall
- 1-inch black collar strap, 5-inches standard and 13-inches extended range antennas
- Digital transmitter with 3 inch color display
9. PetSafe YardMax Rechargeable In-Ground Fence
Yet another best wireless dog fence by PetSafe, the YardMax, comes with some great features to control your dog. This best In-ground fence not only offer correction in the yard or play area but also inside your home. A pet owner can set the following three zones.
- PetSafe Indoor Zone
- Paws Away Outdoor Rock
- New Paws away mini pet barrier
This system can be expanded up to 10 acres. Commonly wire containment systems work only around the customized boundary line, but the YardMax offers perfect beep correction at the time when the dog steps outside the fence. Its transmitter is protected with a surge protector from a power shortage or lightning strikes.
With 2.8 ounces of weight, the receiver collar is lightweight, and you can carry it easily. Also, it is completely water-resistant and can perform correctly in extreme weather conditions. A cloth-based collar strap is more durable as compared to rubber or plastic-based collars.
This PetSafe YardMax Rechargeable In-Ground Fence comes with a Soft-Nylon made collar strap, which is not only softer on the skin but also prevents the neck from irritation. Such a strap also provides a better grip from small to extra large dogs. The collar size is best for 6-28 neck sizes.
A high-quality rechargeable battery needs only 2 hours for a complete charge and can work for more than a month. This system is equipped with a low light indicator to inform you about the charging time. Ranging from medium to strong level, YardMax features 5 consistently rising correction levels.
The Notable Features
- MAXIMIZE YOUR YARD SPACE: In YardMax mode, your pet will have more room than traditional in-ground fences by receiving correction right at the boundary wire instead of before
- 1/3 ACRE COVERAGE: 500 ft of included wire lets you contain up to 1/3-acre yard; purchase additional wire to contain up to 10-acres
- FITS MOST YARDS: This do-it-yourself weekend project lets you create an in-ground fence designed to fit your yard
- 5 LEVELS OF STATIC CORRECTION: 5 levels of adjustable static correction and a tone-only mode help keep your dog safe and secure inside their safe play area
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- YARDMAX RECHARGEABLE RECEIVER COLLAR: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 lb and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 in
- CONTAIN ALL YOUR PETS: With the purchase of additional collars, this in-ground fence system allows you to safely contain an unlimited number of pets
- PET PROOF INSIDE AND OUT: The YardMax receiver collar works with the indoor and outdoor Pawz Away pet barriers to keep your pets out of the flower beds or off furniture
- U.S.-BASED CUSTOMER CARE: Let our pet product experts help; we’re available Monday through Saturday to answer your questions at 1-800-845-3274
10. PetSafe Wireless Fence (PIF-300) with Extra Battery Pack
The PIF-300 Wireless Fence with an Extra Battery Pack by PetSafe is the best way to keep your dog safe within the house. If you are tired of burying wires in the ground, then this is the best portable wireless dog fence for you. The system is effortless to install and use.
This wireless fence can easily cover an area of half an acre. Being a portable wireless fence, this system comes with an ultra-lightweight. So whether you are planning for camping or traveling with friends, the PIF-300 is a perfect choice for easy portability.
With only 3.5 ounces of collar weight, the fence also features a correction level button along with an extra no-correction-beep-only level. A waterproof feature allows you to train your dog in wet weather conditions. There are 6 correction levels of this wireless dog fence.
PetSafe Wireless Fence (PIF-300) comes with an RFA-67 battery, which can easily last for up to 3 months. The PetSafe batteries are affordable and are easy to install. Other prominent feature includes a training guide, test light tool, 50 boundary flags, and 1-year limited lifetime warranty.
The Main Features
- Complete PIF-300 system with bonus battery pack – includes two extra RFA-67D batteries
- Covers an adjustable circular area up to 1/2 acre (180-feet in diameter).
- Completely wireless-portable
- Adjustable levels of correction- plus tone only mode
- A variety of factors including terrain topography and metal objects may affect operating range
Buying Guide for Portable Wireless Dog Fence
Here are essential factors to consider when choosing the wireless dog fence that is portable.
- Difference between hybrid and wireless fences
Hybrid fences are cheaper than wireless fences but need more work and maybe some additional investment for installation. The portable wireless dog fences are a great solution. The transmitter of the fence system emits a radio signal and sends it as a warning or corrective stimulation to your pet when it reaches the set perimeter. They are easy to install, lightweight, and are best for portability.
Also read: How to Install An Electric Dog Fence?
- The coverage
The perimeter of the coverage of these fences is another essential factor to consider. Before you make a decision, take a careful look at your needs. Maybe buying additional wires and flags are not for your use, and you pay extra for them. Consider the area you want to cover and then select the wireless dog fence.
- Portability and mobility
If you love hiking, camping fishing and enjoying a vacation with your family and friends, you should buy the best portable wireless dog fence. You can easily carry these systems anywhere you want. On the other hand, in-ground wiring is hard to install and move at a whim. However, if you don’t want to carry the system with you, then an in-ground dog fence is the right choice for your needs.
- Correction types and levels
Commonly wireless dog fence comes with a shock stimulus for containing the pet and to teach your dog to stay in the appropriate boundaries. In many cases, the dog will quickly learn to recognize the warning vibration or sound signal before reaching the set boundary and also the flag, which you have used as a reminder. In other words, the dog will not need any shock all of the time.
But it is vital to use the kind of correction initially to reach the dog to reach to such signals. Always choose a system with adjustable levels for your dog. Remember, small dogs need much less stimulation as compared to large dogs.
A durable fence not only lasts for a long time but also ensures the safety of your dog. Choose the fence with durable and waterproof collars. It will help you to train your dog in the rain or pools too.
Perhaps the most critical factor of all is the price. It is essential to set a budget for a portable wireless fence before your look for it. These fences are available in different prices depending on the brand and feature. Some of them are affordable while you may found some expensive wireless dog fences on the market.
For instance, a Garmin GPS wireless dog fence is the most expensive one in this list with premium quality material and features.
- Battery indicator
Though most wireless fences have low battery indicators, some low-end fences don’t use this feature. It is essential to buy a portable wireless dog fence with a low battery indicator so that you don’t leave the system without batteries.
- Dog weight and neck size
All fences are not made for your dog. It is better to check the neck size of your dog and weight. The level of corrections is different for each dog. For instance, a small dog with less weight needs low-level correction, whereas, for big dogs, you have to increase the correction level to train him.
- Battery Type
There are different types of batteries used in wireless dog fences. Some use propriety batteries, which means you have to buy from the manufacturer to keep the system running. However, some fences feature standard batteries that are readily available in nearby stores.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Do wireless dog fences really work?
Yes, wireless dog fences are very effective in controlling your dog. They work perfectly to train your pets both in and outdoor.
2. Can I use a wireless dog fence during rain?
Yes, there is a waterproof dog fence made for wet weather conditions. These waterproof collars allow you to train your dog in pools.
3. Does the invisible dog fence hurt the dog?
No, an invisible dog fence wouldn’t hurt your dog. They made to give the dog a harmless static correction. After a certain period, the dog doesn’t even need any correction.
4. Is it safe to train a small dog with a wireless fence?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to train small dogs with a wireless fence. The fact its small dogs need low-level correction as compared to big and stubborn dogs.
5. What is the difference between wired and wireless fence?
The wireless fence works with a transmitter that sends the signal in a radius from its location to alert the dog.
The boundaries of the property are commonly rectangular, and wired dog fence may out to the extreme edge of the perimeter, which makes the entire property a safe zone for your dog.
We have shared the best portable electric dog fences available on the market. These systems are reliable, durable, and work perfectly to help you keep the dog in a particular boundary.
From small to a big dog, you can easily find the best match for your needs. More dog related info can be browse on this site.
But before buying a portable wireless dog fence, it is essential to consider two important things, the areas you want to cover and the size of your dog.