Last Updated on September 8, 2021 Ashley Camelia
With large dogs like Great Danes comes a great need for nutrition. Having a towering body size and an intimidating weight of around 120 pounds, you can speculate the quality and nutrition amount they would need to fuel up their body.
So it is essential to utilize the best dog food for Great Danes to help them grow and supply the nutrients needed for their body and mental growth. Most importantly, high-quality, Great Dane dog food will also keep them healthy and develop their body to fight against health issues and injuries.
But how will you find the finest Great Dane food since every product claim to offer the best quality? Well, to help you out, we found out some top-rated foods that will significantly benefit your gentle giant.
- The 7 Top-Rated Dog Food for Great Danes
- 1. Taste of the Wild Real Meat High-Protein Dog Food
- 2. Eukanuba Adult Dry Dog Food
- 3. Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-Free Adult Dog Food
- 4. Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 5. Nutro Wholesome Essential Chicken Dry Dog Food
- 6. Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Beef Wet Dog Food
- 7. Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dry Dog Food
- What do we need to know about feeding Great Danes?
- Key Ingredients in Great Dane Food
- How Much Does It Cost To Feed a Great Dane?
- How Much Food Does a Great Dane Need?
- How to Feed a Great Dane?
- Common Health Problems in Great Danes
- What To Look For When Buying Dog Food For Great Danes?
- Bottom Line
The 7 Top-Rated Dog Food for Great Danes
1. Taste of the Wild Real Meat High-Protein Dog Food
Made from special meat formula with fruits and vegetables, Taste of the Wild high-protein dog food serves as one of the best foods for Great Danes. The real-meat formula contains roasted bison and venison that delivers high protein and amino acids for strengthening the muscles.
The best part is that it gives the right amount of omega fatty acids that maintain shiny skin and overall skin health. The immune system is an essential part of Great Dane, so this food supplies specialized pro-biotics and pre-biotics that also assist in healthy digestion. It is totally free from grains, thus making it healthy for your pup.
This food creates an appropriate, balanced meal for the Great Dane, and the credit goes to the naturally sourced food and vegetables. It serves as a source of minerals and vitamins along with antioxidants to help your dog to eat a healthy life.
Importantly, it contains chelated minerals that ensure your pup absorbs all the nutrients during digestion. With zero signs of artificial flavor, preservatives, and color, it will never hinder the health of your dog.
2. Eukanuba Adult Dry Dog Food
Eukanuba adult dog food is one of those best dry food for Great Dane puppies that has all the necessary ingredients to keep them energized throughout the day. It is dedicated to a Great Dane who is older than 15 months and has a minimum weight of 55 lbs.
This breed is a highly active dog that needs the right amount of nutrition to sustain that level of energy, and that is why this food carries optimal carbohydrate and fat. With real chicken ingredients and 33% less fat, it offers complete as well as balanced meat for your pup.
An interesting thing about this food is that the natural fiber and pre-biotic combination make this food smooth to digest.
The food is mixed with 3D DentaDefense formula that keeps teeth healthy by preventing tartar buildup. The blend of animal protein, glucosamine, and chondroitin makes an impact on your pup as it makes sure healthy bone joints and proper lean muscle growth. The presence of DHA and vitamin E in the food makes it ideal for promoting healthy brain function.
3. Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-Free Adult Dog Food
Blue Buffalo is quite a famous brand that has been meticulously formulated to fuel up the daily nutrition need for Great Dane. You will find this food in many Great Dane puppy food recommendation lists because it features LifeSource bits.
It contains selected minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that maintain your friend’s overall health along with oxidative balance and immune system. It maintains a balance between carbohydrates and protein so it can deliver the necessary energy without adding too much fat. Your furry companion will enjoy a healthy joint function as it supplies the vital chondroitin and glucosamine.
The main beneficial factor of this premium food is the real chicken ingredient that has been mixed with natural peas and potatoes. The food combination not only maintains the good health of your Dane pup but also enhances their immune system.
It is totally free from artificial ingredients, wheat, soy, or unnatural by-products and has been made using high-quality natural ingredients. The availability of phosphorus and calcium will be a boon to your pup as it develops strong teeth and bones.
4. Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Wellness core natural dry dog food is one of the best dog food for Great Dane puppies that turns the boring bowls into a tasty and healthy meal. It is an all-stage dry food diet for Great Dane that completes all the nutrient needs for a day.
Made with an original formula that contains deboned chicken, turkey meal, and chicken meal, it enriches the body with an optimum amount of protein. Besides providing a high amount of energy to the gentle giant, it also offers a shiny coat and healthy skin. It also acts as a good source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acid that also aids to overall skin health and prevent any skin issues.
Since all the products are naturally sourced and free from grains, meat by-products, additives, colors, etc. so chances of any side-effect are quite minimal.
Like every premium dog diet, your pup will also get vitamin A and E, calcium, fiber, fat, glucosamine, and chondroitin, which are needed for their wellness. It may not be the best dog food brand for Great Danes, but it is sufficient enough to assist your pup in leading a healthy and active life.
5. Nutro Wholesome Essential Chicken Dry Dog Food
Designed to cater to adult Great Dane, Nutro Wholesome Essential is a highly-rated dog food that would supply all the energy to keep them agile the whole day. With the ideal amalgamation of chicken, sweet potato recipe, and brown rice, your dog will love the wholesome meal it creates.
You can fully trust this food because the chicken is taken from the farm, and the rice, along with sweet potato, has been supplied by a trusted farmer. Not only protein, but it also serves as a potential source of minerals and vitamins that would enhance the overall immune system.
The natural source of chondroitin and glucosamine in this food would improve the mobility of your giant pup and negate any uneven pressure on joints. You won’t find wheat, soy, artificial color, or additives as it is totally created from non-GMO items.
Great Dane develops a weak immunity system if not well-fed, so this low-protein dog for Great Dane can help them recover from that deficiency.
6. Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Beef Wet Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Focus beef wet dog food is not an average canned product that you will find in the market. It is a top-of-the-line food that treats your Great Dane with real beef that is not only tasty but also supplies an adequate amount of high-quality protein to the body.
It is highly useful for Great Danes, who are overweight or underweight as it offers a balanced diet to maintain a healthy protein-to-fat ratio. It contains 9% protein, 2% fat, and 1.5% fiber that not only provides the necessary energy but also promotes healthy joints and strong bones.
This low-fat Great Dane food also carries an adequate amount of vitamin E and ascorbic acid that assist your pup in building a robust immune system. Your canine won’t need any other ingredient with this premium diet because it also contains rice that creates a wholesome meal.
However, this formula is only applicable for Great Dane who has a minimum weight of 50lbs. You will love the beautiful smooth coat that your pup will get, and the credit goes to the omega-6 fatty acids.
7. Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dry Dog Food
Without a shadow of a doubt, Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium is a widely popular Great Dane food that has become a rage among parents. It has numerous positive reviews, and the farm-raised chicken serves as the main reason. Most importantly, it has digestible protein that maintains the large body structure and also helps them to grow lean muscle.
With the natural pre-biotic in food, digestion won’t be a problem, meaning a healthy immune system. The food has blended the real meat with a specially designed veggie recipe that comprises brown rice, beet pulp, peas, and carrot.
The veggies in the formula actively provide carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that are quite helpful in the overall development of the dog. Since it carries chicken fat, your pup’s body is fueled by omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that are beneficial for their overall well-being.
The food offers an impressive taste in every bite, and we are quite sure that your large friend would love it. The absence of wheat gluten, chicken by-products, and wheat makes it suitable for all Dane pups despite their sensitiveness.
Now, let’s check out some vital topics that would help you explore a lot of information related to the food and feeding of Great Dane.
What do we need to know about feeding Great Danes?
The key to healthy and lively Great Dane is feeding them a high-quality diet that contains the right balance of all nutrients. This affection breed has a large body mass, so you need to provide almost 2500 calories a day to keep them agile and free from health issues.
A young or growing dog, on the contrary, requires 3000 calories to meet the daily need. However, an old dog of this breed won’t require such high calories and will stay healthy with 2200 calories.
Many vets and breeders have stated that a Great Dane diet requires a minimum amount of 23% protein and 12% fat. However, many people prefer to use top-end brands as they offer more protein and fat in the food.
Although it is not applicable for growing pups as they require specialized food formula where the protein content is much higher. While feeding them a premium dog diet, you should offer 8-14 cups to large males while 6-9 cups are sufficient for adult females.
Key Ingredients in Great Dane Food
Large and active breeds like Great Dane has unique nutritional needs. They require certain dietary ingredients in their diet for proper muscle development, curbing bone problems, maintain a healthy weight, and brain growth. Here are those key ingredients;
- Protein – Like every other breed, Great Dane also needs a fair amount of protein, and it should be around 23%. However, you can go slightly go for a higher percentage of 25 to 27 but not more than that because it would lead to overweight. The protein should be digestive as they face a lot of bloating issues.
- Pro-biotics – Digestion is a big issue with Great Dane, so they need a minimal amount of probiotics that easily digest any food. Moreover, they will assist your tall friend to build an improved immune system.
- Fat – Fat is a necessary ingredient for this large breed as it supplies the essentials to keep them agile throughout the day. However, the fat content shouldn’t be more than 12% as it disrupts the healthy weight.
- Minerals and Nutraceuticals – Ingredients like glucosamine, calcium, phosphorus, and chondroitin play a significant role in ensuring the healthy body structure of your big canine. It strengthens the bones and joints, thus allowing them to hold their body weight.
- Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates are a critical need of Great Dane, but you can’t provide the usual soy, corn, or wheat as they have weak digestive systems. You need to give digestive carbohydrates like starchy vegetables or whole grains to meet the requirement.
- Antioxidants – Including antioxidants would be highly beneficial for this breed as it facilitates healthy digestion. Moreover, it also assists the dog to curb down any inflammation.
- DHA and omega fatty acid – Whenever you are treating your large pup with Great Dane food, it is vital that the diet should contain sources of DHA and omega fatty acid. These items will enhance the development process of the eye and brain.
How Much Does It Cost To Feed a Great Dane?
Great Dane is a large and humble giant breed that has the high food required to maintain a healthy body. According to different breeders and owners, you will need to spend a good chunk of money to feet a Great Dane as you can’t provide low-quality diets. High-quality foods generally cost around $30-$80 for small bags, and it varies depending upon the brand.
Similarly, you will have to shell out around $100-$250 for purchasing a large crate that would last for a month or two. Feeding an adult Great Dane can cost about $100 a month, whereas feeding pups below one year would cost you around $150 per month.
How Much Food Does a Great Dane Need?
Well, we have discussed the calorie, fat, and protein amount that your Great Dane needs in their diet. But do you need how much food they need? Well, the amount of food varies according to age, weight, body structure, and gender.
You need to maintain a constant diet so that your pup’s bone and muscle can grow together. Since they have one of the fastest growth rates so you will have to be cautious with their food amount.
From an early age, you have to provide them 2-5 cups of premium Great Dane puppy food, and it should be divided into three meals. When they reach the age of 16weeks, you will have to feed them 4 to 6 cups in two meals.
However, when then will cross the boundary of 20weeks, you should increase the cup count by one, although the meal should division remain the same. For a 24-35weeks old pup, you need to feed them around 6 to 9 cups on a daily basis. Once they reach one year, you will have to increase the amount to 7-10 cups depending upon their need.
How to Feed a Great Dane?
Only feeding a Great Dane puppy with high-quality food won’t cut, you will have to know how to food them. They consume a lot of food, so it is vital to divide the food into two to three meals, which will assist in natural digestion and consistent growth.
Bloating is a common issue with Great Dane, so rather than allowing them to roam after eating, you should force them to sit. It will not only assist your pup for easy digestion but will also curb down bloating.
Many breeders have suggested that treating your large canine-raised feeder can hugely benefit them in terms of health. When they raise their leg to reach, it will allow the food to comfortably settle in the respected gland and cause smooth digestion.
According to reports, when they droop down to reach food from the regular plate, it tends to give rise to digestive issues as they face difficulty gulping them properly.
Common Health Problems in Great Danes
Even though Great Dane is an adorable and active giant breed, but it doesn’t make them immune to health problems. They face a lot of issues throughout their life, and as an owner, you will have to be prepared for that.
- Bone Issue and Hip Dysplasia – Great Dane is known for its massive body, which is also a blessing and a curse. It gives them an eye-catching look but also makes them prone to bone problems. Hip dysplasia is the most common bone problem in this breed, which causes pain and difficulty while they walk. Huge body weight and unequal growth of bone and body mass also lead to a joint problem. When they walk or run, the colossal mass adds to a lot of pressure on the joint, and it causes pain in their bones. However, these issues can be averted if you can treat your dog with specialized food that makes the cartilage in the joints durable. The constant supply of chondroitin and glucosamine will make the joint strong that will help them to work freely even in old age.
- Bloating – Bloating is a severe issue in Great Dane, and it starts after 4-5 months. When they exercise after the meal, drink a lot of water while or eats swiftly, it leads to bloating. However, dividing their meal multiple times and giving them food in the raised feeder can help them in easy digestion. Most importantly, you should train them to relax after every meal so that the food can quickly settle.
- Gastric Torsion– It is a life-threatening issue where the stomach cuts off blood circulation by twisting the muscles. It is a grave health issue that can only be treated through surgery.
- Osteosarcoma – It is another health problem that significantly affects this breed. Osteosarcoma means cancer in the bones, and there is no cure for this issue, but the chance of occurring is quite low.
- Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy – It is a painful medical issue where puppies grow faster than usual. They quickly achieve a tremendous amount of mass, leading to significant pressure on the bones. So the legs can’t keep up with the pressure, and they swell up. As a parent, you will have to be careful with the protein level in the food, and you should offer premium food depending upon their age.
What To Look For When Buying Dog Food For Great Danes?
Buying dog food, especially for gentle giants like Great Danes, is not an easy task as you will have to pay attention to a lot of things. So let’s look at those crucial factors;
- Nutrition Requirement – The nutrition amount is probably the essential thing that you should look for when purchasing food for your large pup. First of all, check whether the food has a minimum of 23% of protein and 12-15% of fat in the diet. Then make sure the carbohydrate amount is adequate, and it is easy to digest. The food must contain a good amount of fiber to prevent constipation and make sure easy digestion. Great Danes pups need a lot of vitamins throughout their lifespan so the food should have vitamin A, B, C, D, and E. Similarly they require a lot of minerals like chloride, sodium, and potassium that will maintain their nervous system and muscle growth.
- Age – You should buy food depending upon the age of your Great Dane. Different age has a different requirement, and if you give the food of the wrong age, then it would affect their health. For example, a four-eight weeks pup should be given premium food that would cater to your age.
- Digestion – Make sure the food you are buying for your affectionate giant should be easy to digest. Great Danes have a lot of issues with their digestion system, so you should avoid grains that are not easy to digest.
- Allergies – Every Great Dane is prone to allergies when they eat specific types of food ingredients, so it is best to avoid them. Many parents have stated that their Great Dane pup develops allergies when they take chicken meat or their by-product.
To wrap this article, we can say loving your Great Dane is not enough, and you will have to make an effort to offer food with all the nutrition. As a parent, you will have to take care of their body’s needs so that they can maintain a significant and majestic lean mass. All the high-quality foods we have recommended for your Great Dane will give them a balanced diet and also supply them a sufficient amount of energy. One thing that is common in all of them is zero grains and additives; thus, you won’t have to think about health issues.